Saturday, March 14, 2009

Margarined and Garlicked Chicken

Since I got back from Sydney, Iana and I had probably tried a dozen ways to marinate and bake chicken. With our first recipe, we rubbed garlic, rosemary leaves, and olive oil all around the chicken. I sliced small holes in the parts that were thick with flesh and inserted garlic bits and rosemary inside. This is what my cousin-in-law Phuong taught me to do with the beef, so the flavor will permeate the thick meat. I thought it would work with the chicken, and indeed, it did. I love the smell of rosemary, and the taste it leaves on food, so I enjoyed that experiment. We baked it for a little over an hour. Our timer doesn't work normally, so we gauged how it was doing in the oven by the strength of the smell of the chicken wafting out of the oven. Seriously. Only when the air was thick with the smell, we decided it was ready.

The chicken above is another variation care of my sister Iana. We ran out of rosemary leaves (which we realized would make any dish really good, whether it was really good without it or not), so Iana made do with only margarine and the ever-reliable garlic. She sprinkled the top with peppers to give it color. It worked!

Bake for over an hour, or... well, just trust your sense of smell.

No comments:

Post a Comment