Friday, March 6, 2009

Fried Bananas, Choco Hotcakes


As long as we can fry bananas, I'm fine without my junkfood. Nang Boning fried a basket full yesterday for Maica's action group meeting with the Lingkod ng Panginoon ladies, but she didn't stop me when I picked and nibbled on a dozen pieces. Despite the oil horror, and the slick of fresh-from-the-pan that screams cholesterol, I can't get my hands off of them!


There are different ways to cut the banana and make ready to fry. The banana cues sold near schools (now at P6, a P1 increase from the seemingly permanent P5) are cut fan-style. In our kitchen, bananas are cut in 4 halves vertically, giving us long strips that make easy finger eating.

Note: not all kinds of bananas can be fried. Buy
escalante.


Fried camote (sweet potato) is another favorite. Ever since Lent started and me and my sisters kept junkfood away, this has been a constant in our frying pan. My sister Maica and I are practically addicted. Camote is already sweet so I no longer eat it with sugar, but my sister Maica is a hardcore. She drowns it in brown sugar before every great bite.

A twist in frying
camote is sprinkling sugar halfway through the frying. Sugar caramelizes on the camote, giving it more glossy and crunch. If you're not careful, it makes the camote pieces stick together. So make sure when the sugar starts to caramelize, you have your ladle ready to move the pieces around the pan and as a result, keep the camotes away from each other. This sugar-sprinkles-on-camote works deadliest thus best on thinly sliced camote pieces.

My only advice is not to do it regularly, because it kills figures.


My sister Iana made these choco hotcakes out of the walang kupas Maya Hotcakes mix and tabliya cocoa. For as far as my memory can take me, we've always had Maya Hotcakes for snacks. Walang kupas talaga. The difference is that now, I worry about the last few clothes that can still fit me to go without Karo Syrup and butter (even if it's the supposed on-a-diet Daricreme). When I was younger...

Don't even get me started on that.


No comments:

Post a Comment