Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Bihud for Lunch

My mother stole the leftover bihud mamita had prepared for our family dinner last night. She served it on the lunch table today, but when I was about to scoop a spoonful for myself, she snapped at me, instructing me not to get too many since it was supposed to be for her, and her alone. I ignored her and hurriedly scooped several spoonfuls into my plate. I could feel her glare seep through my skin. Sorry mother! So for the first time ever, I had bihud for a meal. Spontaneously, I realized a bihud meal is not a bihud meal without rice.

YUM-MY!

I called up Nang Inday, one of mamita's cooks to ask where I can buy bihud and how bihud is prepared (for future meals, when I feel like preparing). She explained that they got the bihud (fish roe) from the belly of a big fish they bought fresh from the market. She's not sure if it's sold on its own. The bihud is contained in a sac. Before she takes it out from this sac, she first boils the sac in vinegar and garlic. When it's ready, she squeezes the roe out and sautees it with chopped onion and garlic. The last step is to boil it in tomato sauce, thus giving the bihud (at least, in the above demonstration) the orange glow.

Loves it, reminds me of a meal by the beach.
And I miss the beach :D

2 comments:

  1. Curious about this. It looks kind of dry and crunchy from the photo, but you said to saute it in tomato sauce lang? Do you leave it in the pan until much of the moisture has evaporated?

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi candice,

    the mixture is supposed to be pasty, not dry and crunchy, so don't leave it over the fire too long.

    let me know how your cooking goes.

    ReplyDelete