Friday, March 6, 2009

The Madame, the Confused, and the Little Window

The photos above are of my mother's little window. She installed it on the wall in our lanai, one side of which facing our house's extended living area, and the other a field of sugar cane, lost in this residential area but looking alive and inspired. My mother didn't wax romance when I asked her why she had it installed. She almost shrugged it off like it wasn't an important issue: "Because I want to see what's out there when I feel there's something out there."

Given my mother's irrepressible tendency to blend extremely different things, and her natural talent to make it look quirky beautiful, I initially thought her intention was aesthetic. But as she had confirmed, it's for security purposes.

Well, I couldn't sit down with it. The window opens to a field of sugar cane; at sunset, it's breathtaking. There must be a story out the window, and it must be told. Could there be a bahay kubo dwarfed by the canes, with more to tell about Ormoc's past than the poor library at the government's office (assuming, they have one)? Does a lady in red watch over the fields, radiating a splendor red at sunset, giving sun's natural orange company? I am hallucinating, but with the quiet pretty of the window, the magical canes it looks out to, I must not be completely crazy.

title inspired from C.S. Lewis' The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe

No comments:

Post a Comment