Thursday, March 5, 2009

Bhebs Book Rental

To all the booklovers in Ormoc, don't get your hopes up. As I write this, mine are completely dashed. There's a hole in the wall book rental shop along Lopez Jaena Avenue. In fact, it has been there for 5 years. I chanced upon it behind the car window a few days ago and today, I went in and paid P25 for membership. Not that after the first browsing, I found a particularly interesting title that I wanted to rent. But I asked too many questions to the owner and I thought it was a fair exchange.

The woman behind the pink desk is the owner. Her name is Bheb. She is another disappointment. I don't want to stereotype, but my idea of a book rental shop owner is an extreme book lover, who knows her books and who would all-too-willingly browse through the shelves with the renter and make recommendations. But all the while I was there, with 2 other members looking for books to rent, she remained seated behind that desk. I asked her if she had always loved books. She said she never had. She grew up in the mountains and without access to such luxury.

I asked Bheb if hers is the only book rental in town. She said there are two or three others, but they rent mostly Tagalog novels. The photo above, is her own rich collection of Tagalog novels. The titles are quite misleading: "If Ever I Fall in Love," "Bossy Kind of Love," or "Return to Love." If you ask me, any of the three sounds like a shameless English work. Apparently, these Tagalog novelists say "I love you" and not "Mahal Kita".

She rents the Tagalog titles at P5 for 2 days.


From her English collection, she's got a lot of Danielle Steel, Barbara Delinsky and Sydney Sheldon. Not only was I surprised to see an existing copy of Francine Pascal's Sweet Valley series, I wanted to rent one for old time's sake! There are a few New York Times Bestsellers like John Grisham, Nora Roberts and Patricia Cromwell as well, and Stephen King and Anne Rice. If ever I get around to using my P25-membership, I might go rent Anne Rice's "Interview with the Vampire".

She rents the English titles at P15 for 4 days.


Judging from her membership alone (at the 500s), there are a lot of booklovers in Ormoc. Though not all are active members, that number has to be noted. It represents the people who once went out of their way not for anything but to get their hands on a book. A city which is not necessarily well-read, but loves reading, is healthy. Reading will enhance people's comprehension and ability to think. Knowledge through reading may not always be utilitarian, but nobody can take that away once you have it (except for bad memory) and when you find use for it. It is a habit that should be encouraged, best of all through the existence of a library.

Almost all the suburbs in Sydney that I got the chance to visit has a library that lends books and educational videos for free. I dare say it's one reason why Australia is a first world country, and the Philippines is not.

One of the 3 males who are among the active members happens to be a guard. He enjoys reading while on duty. Imagine if he is a reflection of all blue-collar workers.

No comments:

Post a Comment