Monday, March 30, 2009

Camote with Ginamos

My mother eats a lot of weird stuffs. Individually, these stuffs are not weird, but when positioned together to be eaten as one, it sounds weird, it looks weird, it must taste weird. What do you think of boiled camote (sweet potato) and ginamos?

How to make ginamos:

Again, our dearest manang, nang Boning cannot name the fish she used for the ginamos. She attempted a dire guess: small libud, but I wouldn't suggest to trust her on this :D I would however suggest to go to the fish market yourself and ask what small fish can be used for ginamos. Anyway, on to the ginamos recipe care of nang Boning:

Give the small fish (fresh preferably) some washing.
Saute onions in a hot pan with oil.
Add the small fish, including their natural juice.
Saute until ready (er, i'm not really sure when it is; until you get this gray color i guess)
Put out the fire.
Pour in a small amount of vinegar and mix. Don't be too harsh though or you'll break the weakly-boned small fish.

Ready!
Get weird!

Of course, like a seasoned eater who is ready to tackle anything (except for eggplant in any way, and maggot ala Fear Factor), I tried this myself. I find the ginamos too dominating to the unwanted sensation of dank and unpleasant -ness in my taste buds. The sweet potato is pointless. I should have tried the ginamos with rice, but didn't because I already decided the ginamos is not for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment