Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Candy Talk at the San Lorenzo Ruiz College

I spent the whole Friday, March 6 at the San Lorenzo Ruiz College upon the invitation of the Vanessa Siloterio-Romero (who if I should sum up in a few, is a walking testimony of God's gifts of love, happiness, courage, and forgiveness). She convinced me at first mention to be one of the mock interviewers in the mock interview activity that was the culmination of her seminar for the graduating students of the Cebu Doctors University-affiliate based in Ormoc. San Lorenzo approached Ate Vans to give the students a sneak into the reality that is the job market.

The point of the mock interview was to give an idea of what happens in a real one. I pulled out my formal khaki pants and somber black blouse from the closet, a bit wrinkly after staying in folded position since I resigned from my former job that required them, so I would look credible. My favorite questions in the list of 50 that Ate Vans gave me and the other mock interviewers as guide were: "How would you define success?," "Why should we hire you?," "What are your strengths and weaknesses?".

I expected that many would have preferred finishing a different course, but due to family pressure and the practicality needed in these dire times, they are graduating with a Nursing degree instead. I was right. One girl originally had her heart set on either the Police Academy or the Philippine Military Academy. Another girl, who even in her crisp white blouse with vertical blue lines and smart trousers failed to hide the fun-loving and happy-go-lucky girl that she is, cannot think of herself in the long haul being in the strict confines of a Nurse's life. She would rather be part of the risks and adventures that fill up a businesswoman's daily grind.

But through time and the graded experiences, they learned to enjoy and to some extent, love the job of a nurse. They all agreed that the most rewarding aspect of the job is to receive confirmation from the patients that they feel better under their care. Majority of the students who were assigned to me have no plans of leaving the country in the near future. If their words were of truth, then our hospitals need not sweat too much. But I do hope they will grant more significance to a Nurse's job. Needles, blood, and all -- it's no joke.

On a self-reflection mode, I saw myself many years ago in many of the ladies I interviewed. A bunch of them, completely with no-how on what to be honest about and what to keep to themselves in a job interview, confess lack of self-confidence that they allow like coffee to hinder their growth. I came clean and told them like Candy (Magazine) would that I was once a big bore with no confidence. Thankfully, I wasn't made of enough dense to not notice I missed a lot of things because of it. Quickly, I grew out of it. It's a state of mind, I told them.

Sigh, when I was in their place in my time, I had nobody to tell me that. Well, except for Candy Magazine (but, duh).

yeah!
far left, that's Ate Vans for you. the graduating students
my desk space (I was so thirsty from all the Candy talk I emptied the Fontana juice and the Coke bottle with not a single thought about calories)

~~~
Good luck to all those I have interviewed. As my father would say, I hope you find your place under the sun.

No comments:

Post a Comment